This is a paraphrased quote from Frank Sheeran in Martin Scorsese's Irishman.
Is it really true?
Knives are easy for anyone to use.
- They’re quick and efficient. They can be difficult to spot in time & you could be easily blindsided to even know when you're bleeding to death — Boys would know this.
- It’s harder to miss with a knife, and depending on where you stab and how deep you stab, the wounds could be fatal.
- Knives have easier access so their availability makes them dangerous.
Guns on the other hand, are much harder to use.
- You'd have to reload them.
- You'd have to aim, plus it’s easier to miss.
- They are easier to spot & disable in time.
However, guns pack a harder punch.
And scientifically speaking, 𝙮𝙤𝙪’𝙧𝙚 𝙢𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚𝙡𝙮 𝙩𝙤 𝙎𝙐𝙍𝙑𝙄𝙑𝙀 𝙖 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙗 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙣 𝙖 𝙜𝙪𝙣𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙.
But the catch now is in a close range encounter:
● You'd have to be a real knife pro to disable a knife from an attacker without getting significantly hurt.
● One wrong move against someone with a knife and you could be gutted like a pig...or worse.
● It is much more difficult to block knife stabs than you'd assume...pray your attacker is not physically stronger or bigger than you are.
● It is always in your best interest to run away from a knife fight.
The more distance you keep from an attacker, the more guaranteed your safety is.
This is not the same as a close gun encounter:
● Your running away gives your attacker more aiming leverage.
● Your confrontation weakens the confidence of an attacker, regardless of their body size or muscular build.
● Most people who use guns are quite untrained in the art of discharging a firearm and have weak aims — which can be exploited, regardless of your training or skill set.
Of course, these scenarios only apply for close encounters.
...which brings me to the moral of my story:
— Anybody who pulls out a Gun on you in a close encounter is most likely trying to scare you or rob you, or threaten you.
These are very bankable assumptions.
— But anybody who pulls out a knife on you during an argument or close encounter did not come to play.
𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙧𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤 𝙠𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙝*𝙩 𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪.